Tuesday, February 2, 2010

LibraryThing - Social Networking with Books (10 of 23 Things)

I am ahead of the game for a change! I investigated LibraryThing when we were discussing tags a few weeks ago. I didn't realize then however, that LibraryThing also provided the similar titles and other editions information in our catalog. Of course these recommendations must come from the tags and other bibliographic information obtained through authoritative sources and the social network that inputs data into LibraryThing.

This time around I added 4-5 books to my "Library". It was cool to read reviews written by other's. I will definitely use this as a resource for booktalking as well as a resource for book covers. All the stats from the users was fascinating! I can't imagine I'll catalog my personal books - but LibraryThing provides lots of interesting and, at times, useful information.

Since my last post, I have experienced significant difficulty with my old bookmarking site. I have persevered with Delicious and am slowly making the switch. I'm still finding the tags to be cantankerous but I'm hoping I'll find using the site more user friendly and without operational problems.

It has been three years since I first heard the term Web 2.0. To be honest, even after the workshop I was attending, I really wasn't sure what they were talking about. Blogs and Instant Messaging blah, blah, blah. This exercise of 23 Things has been a real eye opener - it has forced me to try, investigate and gauge for myself the pros and cons of online networking - although I doubt it will make me an avid user of the majority, I feel I'll find my niche and be able to intelligently converse about the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment