Thursday, January 28, 2010

Delicious-Social Bookmarking (9 of 23 Things)

Okay - I'm on overload with user ids and passwords - though truthfully I keep reusing the same ones over and over. My kingdom is yours if you discover my secret! I'm finding Delicious to be cumbersome and finicky. Every tag has to be spelled exactly the same way, each and every time or it's seen as a different tag and heaven forbid you put a comma between the tags or a space between words. I was using the same four tags and by the time I got five websites loaded, Delicious thought I'd used seven or eight different tags. And it wasn't all that easy to fix. My Delicious link is http://delicious.com/friend.dc85 .

I can understand the value of such a social bookmarking site for some occupations/purposes, ie. teachers of any kind, sharing with others in the same profession/business...uh, okay I'm having a hard time coming up with a lot of others - but I'm sure there are. For certain purposes I could imagine social bookmarking working for libraries - booklists, award winners, etc. But if you want all your bookmarks in one place, other sites appear to be simplier (Mybookmarks.com) but not social (able to be shared) - I was glad to see there is an option to keep a bookmark private - that would have been a deal breaker.

I think I'll slowly add more bookmarks to Delicious and play around with it. Maybe I'll appreciate it more, the more I use the beast.

No comments:

Post a Comment