Sunday, March 14, 2010

Google Maps (Thing 15 of 23 Things)

I am very familiar with online maps, driving directions and satellite photos. In my experience, 8 out of 10 times they are correct, but beware of the other two out of ten, when you will be led on a wild goose chase! Placing confidence and security in these sites and depending solely on them to get you there on time and in a good frame of mind is a mistake. I hope with time I will see ample cause to change my view. But not yet, my latest mishap was a mere two weeks ago. Admittedly, these mapping sites are a huge undertaking and as a society, we have so easily gotten used to information on demand, that the friction between seeker and provider becomes pronounced, almost palatable, especially in traffic.

I love Google Maps as much as I hate it. Rural and semi-rural areas are their weak points. I double check each site with other sites and even then still give myself extra travel time, especially when I am totally unfamiliar with the area, because when they're wrong, they are REALLY wrong! Surely, in time, the information holes will be filled and Google Maps as well as the other mapping sites will rise to the occassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment