Monday, May 17, 2010

Reflection (23 of 23 Things)

I've learned a great deal from the 23 Things experience. Previously I had a general idea of what Web 2.0 was and knew only a small handful of Web 2.0 "Things." I was intrigued by many of the Things; my favorites being Delicious, Pandora, YouSendIt, GoogleDocs, Hulu and Blogspot. However, to be honest, I have started using all of these but in a completely non-social manner. All are for my own personal or professional benefit and I neither look at or care about what others post or what others' favorites might be. Who has the time?

As for libraries and social media, I believe it belongs in certain places. Blogging or Facebooking as means of library communication and promotion makes sense. Do patrons really comment on our blog? I'd be interested to know how "social" our blog has become. Teens seem drawn to technology, so social media might be a drawing card for teen involvement.

I am against YouTubing/streaming story times and other programming because it physically removes the patron from the library, especially harmful to children. Kids need to be in the library, attending programs, gaining socialization experiences and skills and getting their hot little hands on the books, music, puppets, etc. and not at home or daycare center passively sitting in front of a monitor!

As for what FPL should/should not be doing with social media, I stand on the side of caution. Social media sites are labor intensive because they need to be kept fresh and timely. How much work per patron impact do they require? Are enough patrons regularly interacting with, or, at the least, hitting our social sites?

This was a fun and enlightening journey. Who knows maybe I'll continue the count with Mr. King and Mr. Porter!

No comments:

Post a Comment