Thursday, May 6, 2010

Upcoming: Events and Things to Do (22 of 23 Things)

Upcoming won first place in Seomoz's 2008 Web 2.0 Awards. Quick question: how come the awards are two years old - in cyberspace that pretty much spells antiquity? Did they only try handing out awards for three years; from what I can tell they ran from 2006-2008.

Anyway, I digress. Upcoming is a WEB 2.0 site that allows it's users to view, comment on, and add upcoming events from anywhere. This site can then link the user to the event's website, if it has one, or to a ticket purchase site. There appears to be no requirements for type or size of event. From my browsing you can find professional sports events and big name concerts to high tea on Mother's Day at the local Bed and Breakfast. Organizers appear to be making use of this site. Upcoming's calendar goes out for at least several years (I got tired of hitting the forward arrow) and past events are archived as well. Archiving past events - seems like almost useless information.

It's quite obvious that a library could easily use this site to advertise storytimes and other programming, my only concern is the amount of staff time versus benefit. The site looks well run, but I never saw many "users" - I think 9 was the highest. This number is arrived at by viewers clicking on "I'm interested" or "I'm going" buttons. So how to tell if the site is getting much traffic if viewers do neither?

I'll keep this in mind next time I have company or just need something different to do. Checking things out when going on vacation would be another good use of this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment