Sunday, April 11, 2010

Videos - YouTube (18 of 23 Things)

Okay, YouTube - I understand the concept and how to upload videos and establish your own channel. Not sure I get how to find or view other people's channels or fool with the myriad of presentation options. As with any of these Web 2.0 Things, it takes practice and practical applications to get proficient in the technology.

As I was perusing the YouTube website, it occurred to me that I have no idea what a video camera looks like these days. I know phones can take short videos, as can digital cameras. Do modern day video cameras have the same configuration as they did , say in the 90's, or are they much smaller - do they look like an iPad or more like a movie camera?

I watched quite a number of animal videos - funny but as I watched the sidebar options kept changing and making new suggestions - is this some sort of Pandora-like what video might she like Thing? Interesting!

I noticed that embedding a YouTube video in anything is quite popular, I have never done that before, but think I would like to try. I'll report back momentarily to tell you how I fared. On second thought I'm going to embed one right here:
Okay, so the whole screen didn't make it, but not bad for a first try!!!

It's easy to see how one can get lost fooling around with these videos - time seems to fly as you mindlessly click and watch other people's silly and entertaining amateur efforts. I know there is serious material as well, but from my afternoon's efforts, most of what I saw was fun, but frivolous.

Teen efforts in public libraries could easily take advantage of this technology; ie making book trailers or book talks. However, as a story time presenter, I am much more comfortable with real time performances. I take energy from the participating audience and would feel self-conscious if I knew a video camera were on me or on a puppet show performance. Any glitches would be forever recorded rather than forgiven and forgotten. I'm sure I could adjust, but it does add the additional pressure of the absent and judgemental viewer.

I learned a lot about the ever-present You-Tube!

No comments:

Post a Comment