Monday, January 25, 2010

Tagging (8 of 23 Things)

I have already been using tagging on my blog. Since my blog is serving a dual purpose - a chronicle about my Web 2.0 experiences (via 23 Things) and a reading journal, tagging allows me and any follower of my blog to isolate the different components and read only what is relevant to them at the time. Quite handy!

As I played around with FPL's iBistro listings with LibraryThing, my naivete surfaced and I had to research LibraryThing to figure out where their tags came from. I am assuming the font size is a cloud and indicative of the frequency of the individual tags relative to the other tags. At the rate the website has grown its easy to see the relevance of the tags as a whole.

I don't know that these tags will replace subject headings in libraries - subject headings can grow in number with change and innovation but, relative to LibraryThing, they are somewhat controlled and finite while the tags are devices of the masses and infinite and sometimes quite bizarre. Subject headings provide a constant and lend control to a library's catalogue . I think tags compliment the subject headings by providing input from the readers at large and in large numbers. This should be encouraged - but as with most of these Things - I can't imagine spending that much time in front of my computer - I mean inventorying all my own books - give me a break! Although it is another way to chronicle your reading. Think I'll stick with my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment